March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th!

It's Friday the 13th! Does that mean that it's not safe to go outside today? Or that I shouldn't fly on a plane? I don't think so... but plenty of people do. Apparently the superstitions surrounding Friday the 13th have become very common during the last 100 years.

So why is Friday the 13th so unlucky? Well, for starters, 12 is the number of perfection: there are 12 months in a year, 12 hours on a clock, 12 Apostles of Jesus, etc. Therefore, 13 is said to be an irregular number and is unlucky. Further, Friday is said to be unlucky day. Jesus was crucified on a Friday and there were stock market crashes on Fridays during the 1800s.

How do these superstitions affect us? According to the Stress Management and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina 17-21 million people in the US are affected by a fear of Friday the 13th. Some are so affected that the will divert from their daily routines, stay off the roads, cancel flights, etc, just in fear of this day. (BTW- Paraskavedekatriaphobia is the term for a fear of Friday the 13th.)

Friday the 13th occurs at least once every calendar year, and can occur up to 3 times a year... this year we will have 3 Friday the 13ths- February, March and November. The next year in which 3 Friday the 13ths will occur? 2012!

Personally, I think it's just another day. Though I have to admit the social stigma surrounding the day can be quite a downer! Actually a friend of mine was possibly going to be induced today.... we joked last week about how horrible of a birthday that would be! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have given up on Friday the 13th being a bad day a long time ago. I can honestly say that I never even realize that it's the 13th and on a Friday. I have so much more to worry about...like getting in a shower before I start attracting flies! Okay, maybe not that extreme...with the flies and all. =)

I am stopping by to give you a big welcome to the SITSahood! Glad you could join and hope you love it as much as I do! hope to see you around!

Christina said...

I will say that the hospital becomes a MUCH busier place on Friday the 13th. And, it's even worse on FULL MOON Friday the 13ths, as yesterday was. However, it's likely coincidence....or people being superstitious and freaked out, so they go out and do stupid things that land them in the hospital. Who knows. ;)

Sapphire said...

What? It was Friday the 13th? I totally missed it.

Mamarazzi said...

very fun information. ya just never know what you are going to learn while blog jogging!

OH, I am also stopping by to introduce myself and welcome you to the SITStahood. You are going to love this wonderful community of women.

You might consider following my blog…I host a monthly drawing for fun prizes EXCLUSIVELY from my list of followers. No need to check in every day (though ya might want to, and I would love that) just follow…pretty cool right?

AND come enter my FABULOUS giveaway too…so much fun stuff happening in the SITStahood!

I’m L-O-V-I-N-G it!!

Lauren said...

Good to know about all of this stuff. I've never had a problem with it, or noticed anything creepy, but you never know.